Performs food production of patients and retail services. Assists Head Chef in the preparation of catering and/or Specialty Food Stations. Prepares, seasons, cooks and displays food according to recipes and specifications for patient and retail services.
- Morning (6:00am – 2:30pm) or Flexible
- Evening (1:30pm – 9:30pm) or Flexible
RESPONSIBILITIES: Job Specific Duties
- Assists the Head Chef with food production for patients and retail.
- Maintains food production sheets for the patients and retail by weighing food items for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Dates, labels and maintains the freshness of prepared food items following the FIFO (First In, First Out) method.
- Ensures food is served at safe and proper temperatures (hot food hot, cold food cold).
- Records temperatures daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner for patients and/or retail.
- Ensures the service area is clean, sanitized and organized condition at all times. Performs daily cleaning and sanitizing of kitchen equipment used for cooking.
- Prepares, seasons and cooks certain food items (e.g., burgers, fries, soups, sauces, vegetables, and entrees) according to projections and historical data.
- Follows proper food safety and cooking techniques and methods.
- Set-ups, prepares and presents at assigned times food that is appealing, tastes good, and is consistent with standardized recipes for patients, retail and catering.
- Records and maintains accurate production and quality assurance records with assistance from Storeroom Clerk.
- Floats and works in other areas of the Food & Nutrition Services department when needed.
- Maintains accountability by ensuring compliance thru timely completion of licensures, certifications, all competencies, health requirements (PPD, N95, Flu, etc.), and education requirements. F: Semi-Annual/T: 2 hours/R: Individual
- Maintains accountability and timekeeping expectations as outlined by NCHS Timekeeping and Attendance policy & procedures. Ensures behavior is compliant with communication standards. F: Daily/T: 2 hours/R: Individual
- Ensures behavior meets and/or exceeds targeted service scores as measured by the Service Index and/or the internal departmental service survey. F: Daily/T: 8 hours/R: Individual
- Maintains knowledge of, and follows, relevant departmental and MCHS policies and procedures
- ServSafe or National Registry of Food Safety Professionals certification
- Volume cooking experience in hospital, hotel, institutional, or catering setting
- High school education or equivalent preferred.
- Able to float and cover in other areas of the Food & Nutrition Services department when needed.
- Associate degree or comparable education from a cooking school with accredited apprenticeship preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to relate cooperatively and constructively with customers and co-workers.
- Basic knowledge in use of computers and printers.
- Ability to learn appropriate software application(s).
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation standards based on ServSafe.
- Knowledge of Spanish is helpful.
- Able to follow detailed written or verbal instructions.
- Proficiency in food safety and proper cooking techniques and methods.
- Must Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds